Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Titanium

My brain has been buzzing the last few days, filled with the memories and moments that made up Camp Goodtimes 2012. The strength and integrity of these kids completely blows me away. In the face of the hardest struggle imaginable, they stand tall and strong, and at Camp Goodtimes they stood as one. The danced, they sang, they cried, and they willingly and joyously offered an arm or a hand to anyone who needed them. They sent out shock waves of love and compassion that are still circling the world.

On the last night of camp, I put together some slideshows and videos, and for one video I picked the song "Titanium". The song has been stuck in my head for the last month or so because of its incredibly rich and emotional tone. When I put it together with slow motion video of the kids it just grabbed my heart right away. I showed it that night to the entire camp and it perfectly expressed what I wanted to say to the kids. I was also thankful that a cute little girl smiled and handed me a Kleenex during the video. Tears of joy are good for the soul in my book.

It wasn't until today that I looked up all the lyrics to the song. What I found was incredible. The words apply perfectly to these amazing kids and their families who stare down the cancer monster daily. Their strength, their hope, and their yearning to make the most of everything single moment of their lives vibrates with such pure emotion that I wish I could just bottle it up and share it with the world. These kids understand the value of 'now'. They know how beautiful a moment can be if they just open up their hearts and pour themselves into it. I'm in awe of them and the volunteers too who give so selflessly.

Last week will never happen again. And that is completely OK. Every camp session is a kind of performance art. It is unique and beautiful because of all the wonderful elements that the "performers" bring to it.

Last week an extended family was created and I was honored to be there to witness it and become a part of it.















Titanium- by David Guetta, featuring Sia

You should it loud,
but I can't hear a word you say,
I'm talking loud,
not saying much.
I'm criticized,
but all your bullets ricochet.
You shoot me down,
but I get up.

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose, fire away, fire away,
ricochet, your take your aim and fire away, fire away.
You shoot me down, but I won't fall,
I am titanium,
you shoot me down, but I won't fall,
I am titanium.

Cut me down,
but it's you who'll have further to fall,
ghost town and haunted love.
Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones,
I'm talking loud, not saying much.

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose, 
fire away, fire away, 
ricochet, you take your aim,
fire away, fire away.
You shoot me down, but I won't fall,
I am titanium,  
you shoot me down, but I won't fall,
I am titanium,
I am titanium,
I am titanium,

Stone hard, machine gun,
fired at the ones who run stone hard,
as bulletproof glass,
You shoot me down, but I won't fall,
I am titanium.  
You shoot me down, but I won't fall, 
I am titanium.  
You shoot me down, but I won't fall, 
I am titanium You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium. 

I am titanium.


1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me. I just listened to it on YouTube. I miss the Friday night Camp Goodtimes slideshows all made possible by about the most loving and selfless person on the planet.

    ReplyDelete